Lynchburg 6, New Paltz 1
Lynchburg 6, New Paltz 4
Location: Salisbury, Md. (Henry Parker Complex)
Records: Lynchburg (10-2), New Paltz (0-2)
Freshman pitcher Stephanie Hogan went the distance in game 1, allowing just one run through 7 innings, while getting support from the Lynchburg bats in the 6th and 7th, scoring all six Hornets runs. In game 2, the Hornets got on the board early thanks in part to a 2 RBI single from Kayla St. John in the 3rd inning.
Game 1 Breakdown
- Stephanie Hogan pitched her first complete game as a Hornet, striking out 8 of 23 batters faced
- The Hornets benfited from 2 passed balls in the 4th inning, both coming while bases were loaded, and tallying their first two runs to take the lead 2-1
- At the next at bat, with bases loaded, Taylor Mabry singled to bring 2 more runs for her team leading 18th RBI and a 4-1 lead
- Brittany Coffey made the most of her one at bat, sending the ball over the fence for her 2nd home run this season, giving Lynchburg a 5-1 lead in the 6th
Game 2 Breakdown
- For the 2nd straight game, Lynchburg gave up the first run of the game, this time in the 1st inning
- With Lynchburg leading 2-1 in the 3rd, the bases were loaded for Logan Walker who knocked in the RBI single for a 3-1 lead
- During the next at bat, Kayla St. John picked up 2 RBI with bases loaded, finishing 2-4 on the day
- After giving up 2 runs on the mound in the 3rd and being replaced, Taylor Mabry answered at the plate with her 19th RBI of the season
- Mabry's team leading RBI put the nail in the coffin for the Hawks, dropping their opening games of the season (0-2) while Lynchburg earned their 5th straight win (10-2). This is the second time this season the Hornets have won 5 consecutive games, a feat they accomplished twice last season (winning 10 straight at one point).
Lynchburg takes to the field again tomorrow against Ursinus at 1:30pm and 3:30pm from Salisbury University in Salisbury, Md.