Lynchburg 3, Ferrum 0
Lynchburg 3, Ferum 2 (8 Innings)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Aubrey Moon Jr. Field)
Records: Lynchburg (5-1), Ferrum (0-2)
Around the Horn
Sophomore Conner English tossed a one-hit shutout in Game 1 to move to 1-1 on the season while sophomore Taylor Mabry drove in two runs to help defeat the Panthers. The second game was filled with drama including questionable calls going both ways and a dramatic finish that saw the Hornets winning on a walk off error.
Game 1 Breakdown
- English went the full 7 innings, allowing only two hits and striking out six Panthers and lowered her ERA to 0.46 after Saturday's games
- Mabry went 2-3 and recorded two RBIs while junior Skylar Dickens went 2-3, scoring a run herself
Game 2 Breakdown
- The Hornets went down 1-0 in the first inning before both teams traded runs in the 4th inning to make it 2-1 Ferrum
- Lynchburg added a run in the 5th but the game would go beyond the regular seven innings as neither team could get a score across
- The Panthers started the inning with one out after placing the wrong runner at 2nd base to start the inning
- The Hornets got out of a jam in the top of the 8th and went to bat. Junior Leslie Bourgeois was placed at second and senior Lauren Smith went to bat. Smith laid down a bunt that the first baseman charged, picked it up but her throw was off the mark and the ball went into right field, allowing Bourgeois to score the game-winning run all the way from second
Lynchburg have the week to prepare for a visit from Mary Washington, who will make the trip to the Hill City next Sunday, Feb. 26th. The Hornets and Eagles are set to play a doubleheader on Moon Field with the first game scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m.