Game 1: Lynchburg 5 Methodist 0
Game 2: Lynchburg 14-2 (6 innings)
Location: Fayetteville, N.C. (Price Field)
Records: Lynchburg 3-1, Methodist 0-6
Around the Horn
Lynchburg defeated USA South opponent Methodist in both games of a mid-day double header by the scores of 5-0 and 14-2. The Hornets were led offensively by sophomore's Taylor Mabry, Mackenzie Chitwood, and senior Kayla St. John who each went yard in the victories.
Game 1 Breakdown
-Junior Conner English got the start as she pitched three innings of shutout softball and only allowed one hit
- The following inning, Mabry found herself up to bat with the bases loaded before sending a Monarch pitch over the centerfield wall at Price Field to put the Hornets up 5-0
- Freshman Stephanie Hogan would earn the win as she came in to pitch the final four innings while striking out five Methodist batters.
Game 2 Breakdown
- Mabry got the nod for the Hornets as she pitched four scoreless innings, only allowing one hit to earn the win
- Mabry helped herself out when she hit a sacrifice fly to score freshman Kayla Hugate in the top of the first inning
- In the second inning, junior Skylar Dickens stole third base and then scored on a Methodist error to put the Hornets up 2-0
- Two Hornet homeruns coming from St. John and Chitwood put Lynchburg up 7-0 in the fourth inning
- Lynchburg added two runs the following inning to make it 9-0
- Methodist answered with two runs to cut the Hornet lead to seven
- The mercy rule came in effect during the sixth inning when the Hornets scored five more runs from RBIs by Mabry, Dickens, and St. John to secure a 14-2 victory
The Hornets play Sunday, Feb. 19th for their home opener against Ferrum with the first game of a double header scheduled for a 1 p.m. start.