Men's Soccer Have Hearts Broken by Kenyon in OT, 2-1

Men's Soccer Have Hearts Broken by Kenyon in OT, 2-1

Lynchburg, Va. -- The Second Round game between Lynchburg and Kenyon was more than worth the price of admission as the Lords depart the Hill City on their way to the Sweet Sixteen after netting a goal in overtime to defeat the Hornets, 2-1.

Both teams entered the Round of 32 following dominating victories the previous day, with Lynchburg downing John Carroll 4-2 and Kenyon handling Maryville (Tenn.), 3-0.

Both goalkeepers were called into action quickly as the Kenyon goalkeeper punched away a cross early on and sophomore Dylan McLaurin went horizontal to keep out a Kenyon blast just minutes into the match. The Lords threatened again as a firecracker hugged the ground but went whispering past the right post.

The Lords would find the back of the net as a cross was whipped in and an attacker would send a shot across the goal line in the lower right hand corner. Lynchburg would respond about six minutes later as the junior Fredy Flores got a piece of a cross with his head and it came to settle at senior Ben Grossfuss who blasted his shot home, equalizing the game at 1-1.

Following the Lynchburg goal, both sides would send shots on frame but the goalies and defenders impeded the ball's path and denied either team the advantage as the whistle blew for halftime.

Five minutes into the second half senior Ricardo Manosalvas was able to get to the goal line and preserve the tie as he cleared a ball off the line. Senior Thomas Salamone almost notched an assist as he found Grossfuss on a cross but the Lords goalkeeper made a spectacular one handed save.

The best chances for the Hornets came in the closing minutes. A sequence of shots saw sophomore Zach Thomas get open on the back post and snapped a header on frame but was saved by the goalie. The ball found itself at sophomore Austin Kues' feet and unleashed a blast point blank but a Kenyon defender stuck a leg out and saved the shot.

The game would go to overtime and much like the beginning of the match, the Lords pressed high and pressured the Hornets backline, firing four shots in the first three minutes. The Hornets would move the ball down to the other end but could not produce and attempt on goal.

After gaining possession and pushing forward, the Lords sent in a cross. The ball flicked off one attackers head and found its way to the back post where another Lord sent the ball into the net, lifting Kenyon to victory.

McLaurin finished the game with four saves while Kues and Grossfuss paced the offense with three shots each.

The Hornets finish a magnificent season, full of heart and passion, with a record of 17-2-4 and going undefeated in the ODAC with a line of 7-0-2. Lynchburg will return four of their top scorers in 2017 and as well as numerous players who started a majority of the Hornets 23 games, including freshman Jack Ashby and sophomores Ryan Pikunas and Dan Friedberg.