Score: Lynchburg 17, #16 Roanoke 16
Location: Lynchburg, VA (Shellenberger Field)
Records: #16 Roanoke 7-3, Lynchburg 5-5
From the Face-Off:
The #16 Maroons of Roanoke traveled to Shellenberger Field to battle the Hornets in front of a packed crowd. The rivalry game lived up to the hype as the teams went back and forth from the opening whistle in a high scoring 17-16 win for the Hornets.
- Lynchburg got the scoring started just six seconds in, with sophomore Bo Delaney taking the opening face-off streaking down the field hitting sophomore attackman Logan Adams who assisted sophomore attackmen Andrew Thomas for his first of three goals on the night.
- IV Stucker tallied for the Maroons to even the score at 1-1
- The Hornets answered just 39 seconds later with Adams stepping in and letting one rip low to high that found the back of the net coming off an assist from sophomore midfielder Nick Willertz
- The Maroons would then go on a four goal run with Jason Sarro, Peter Lindley, Steven Jackson, and Brendan Devane all scoring to give Roanoke a 5-2 lead with a minute remaining in the first quarter
- Thomas scored a momentum changing goal with just one second remaining in the first quarter off of a groundball scrum, the assist came from sophomore attackmen Evan Lombardo to make the score 5-3 heading into the second quarter
- The second quarter started with another fast break off a Delaney face-off win that ended with a Lombardo goal that was assisted by Adams with 14:53 remaining in the second quarter
- Senior Midfielder Dan Owens scored an unassisted goal for the Hornets to tie the game at five with 14:16 remaining in the second quarter
- Peter Lindley scored his second goal for the Maroons just 14 seconds later to put Roanoke back up 6-5
- Lynchburg would score the next fve goals to take a 10-6 lead, senior midfielder Joey Giannaras scored two of the five, Lombardo tallied his second of the night, senior midfielder Harrison Brennan scored his first goal on the night, and Shayne O'Brien scored slammed a ball into the low corner to finish Lynchburg's first extra man opportunity of the game.
- Stucker and Lindley would both score for the Maroons to make the score 10-8 at the half
- Roanoke scored the next six goals, three of which came on extra man opportunities, giving the Maroons a 14-12 lead with 6:32 remaining in the third quarter
- Owens tallied his second goal of the night to end the Roanoke run with1:08 left in the third taking the score to 14-13 heading into the final quarter
- Lombardo and Thomas scored for the Hornets in the first two minutes and 30 seconds of the 4th quarter to give Lynchburg a 15-14 advantage
- Roanoke would answer quickly with back to back goals coming on unassisted tallies from Steven Jackson and Jason Sarro to make the score 16-15 in favor of the Maroons
- Evan Lombardo scored his fourth goal of the game working to the middle of the field in transition and sticking the top corner with a rocket, tying the game at 16 with 7:26 remaining
- Harrison Brennan scored the game winning goal off of a 50-50 ground ball in front of the Lynchburg bench; Brennan came up with the ball, streaked to the middle of the field and fired a shot back to the near post that beat Roanoke goalie Burke McManus
Inside the Box Score
- Junior goalie CJ Santora made 13 saves for the Hornets
- The Hornets shot the ball only 31 times scoring 17 goals for a shooting percentage of 54%
- Bo Delaney won 20 of 35 face-offs
- Evan Lombardo scored 4 goals and assisted on 2 more goals for the Hornets
- Andrew Thomas had 3 goals on 3 shots for the Hornets
A Look Ahead
The Hornets are on the road twice next week, traveling to Shenandoah on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. start and Randolph-Macon on Saturday afternoon.